Monday, November 22, 2010

ePal!

After viewing the ePals website, I can think of many ways I would use this site in my classroom. Many school districts have a problem with allowing teachers and students access social networking site such as Facebook, Twitter, and even site like YouTube. While I understand the dangers that the administration sees in allowing access to these sites, I think there is a huge disadvantage as well. With a site like ePal, teachers would be able to do many of the things they want to do but can't.

For example, the ePal Learning Space is, "a virtual workspace optimized for creating, sharing, managing, and collaborating on educational content". This portion of the website allows teachers to safely email students, set up blogs, wikis, and other media tools while being able to monitor the content their students are subjected to. In addition, teachers can upload files (i.e. Word or PDF's) so that they will never hear the excuse of "I lost the original copy of my assignment so I couldn't do it," and also the most famous, "I didn't know that was due." Parents can also utilize this learning space by joining different communities or just checking to see what their children are doing in a specific class. With many built in language and content filters, the ePal Learning Space provides a safe environment for students to collaborate with their peers and teachers.

I can definitely see myself using the Learning Space to keep in contact with parents, to create wikis for my students, and also to set up blogs. With wikis and blogs, I could give my kids extra out of class help or step by step directions for assignments they are having problems with. The good thing about this program is everything is structured and the school district has the option to monitor the collaboration between students, teachers, and parents. I would definitely use this program in the classroom.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you get the chance to try out some of the ePals features. I know that some are free and some require a fee, but I'm sure that you will find what best suits you and your students.
    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete